Saturday, May 31, 2008

Here We Go Again!

It seems that the Confederate Flag Issue is going back up the flagpole. I know that both sides of the issue have very strong feelings on the issue. I know the Pro side of the issue feel strongly about the Heritage that it stands for (mostly because of ancestry). I also know that the Dissenting side feel very strongly about the slavery it stands for (also mostly because of ancestry. So i can truly say i see and understand both sides of the issue.

I bring this up because of a report i read. There is a group that is going through the steps to put up a 30' x 50' Confederate Flag on a 129' flag pole in Florida by the Sons Of Confederate Veterans group.

So as you can guess this is causing a big ruckus in the town and the country. It is sure that there will be a lot of groups descending on this area to picket and demonstrate on behalf of this issue.

Now before i go any further, i do know that what i say will anger one of the sides of this issue. But let me give some background of my family on this issue. My branch of my family is from Ohio where it has been for years. Originally my ancestors migrated to the NC area and then my branch moved up from there. During the Pre - Civil War era my ancestors were actually active parts of the Underground Railroad. So my branch of my family, as you can imagine, are very anti-slavery and anti-racism.

So now my take on this issue, i feel that sometimes these pro flag groups do these things to raise the ire of their counterparts and to keep their names in the media. But i feel these things don't do anything but polarize the parties further. But i feel that it is a right to be able to put up a flag. I understand that they want to keep their heritage. But i also think that constantly pushing the issue on others doesn't help your cause.

I feel that the pro confederate side definitely has a right to place a flagpole up and place the confederate flag on it. It is also the dissenting side's right to protest the matter. But it all goes back to peoples rights. I have said numerous times that i have to speak up for everyones rights, not just rights i agree with. I personally don't agree with the Confederate Flag and what it stands for (slavery), but if it a right to fly the confederate flag, i will fight for that right.

Anyways, thats my take on the matter, agree with it or not.

Viva Liberty!

No comments: